Official documents on the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR) published by the European Union:
- Regulation (EU) No 995/2010, art. 6.1.b (EUTR) of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 October 2010 forms the legal mandate for the implementation of the EUTR. It is available in 24 languages.
- Regulation (EU) No 607/2012, art. 4 (Implementing Regulation) of the European Commission details the EUTR obligations of operators who place timber and timber products on the market.
- Commission Notice C(2016) 755 – Guidance document for the EUTR – Section 6 provides non-legal guidance on certain aspects of the EUTR and the two Commission non-legislative acts above.
- The Sourcing Hub: www.preferredbynature.org/sourcinghub. Preferred by Natures Sourcing Hub offers a detailed description of country-specific legal requirements, related risk information and mitigation measures for timber and other forest related commodities,
- FAO TimberLex: www.fao.org/faolex/timberlex/. The TimberLex database provides access to a set of comprehensive country-specific legal information - including legislation, policies and international commitments - on forest management, timber production and trade.
Existing certification assessment frameworks and tools:
- Preferred by Nature Certification System Evaluation Standard (LS-18)
- WWF Certification Assessment Tool (CAT).
- The Confederation of European paper industries “Comparative Matrix of Forest Certification Schemes”.
Guidance documents from Scheme owners:
- FSC webpage on EUTR and Implementation guide for companies trading FSC certified materials
- FSC webpage and factsheet on FSC labels
- PEFC response to the EUTR review
- PEFC webpage on labels
Academic literature on forest certification schemes:
Auld, G., Gulbrandsen L. H. and McDermott, C.L. 2008. Certification schemes and the impacts on forests and forestry.
Perera, P. and Vlosky R.P. 2006. A History of Forest Certification. In Louisiana Forest Products Development Center Working Paper #71.
Brown, D., Schreckenberg, K., Bird, N., Cerutti, P., Del Gatto, F., Diaw, C., Fomété, T., Luttrell, C., Navarro, G., Oberndorf, R., Thiel, H., Wells, A., 2008. Legal Timber, Verification and Governance in the Forest Sector. Overseas Development Institute.
Purbawiyatna A., Simula M. 2008. Developing forest certification – Towards increasing the comparability and acceptance of forest certification systems. In ITTO - Technical Series No 29.
Romero, C., Putz, F.E., Guariguata, M.R., Sills, E.O., Cerutti, P.O. and Lescuyer, G. 2013. An overview of current knowledge about the impacts of forest management certification: A proposed framework for its evaluation. Occasional Paper 91. CIFOR, Bogor, Indonesia.
The European Commission (donor) is not responsible for any claims or views presented in this material. The European Commission's support for the production of this publication does not constitute endorsement of the contents which reflect the views only of the authors, and the Commission cannot be held responsible for any use which may be made of information contained therein.