Source and trade better – get Bonsucro-certified
Becoming Bonsucro-certified is a global measure of your credibility and responsibility as a business.
Bonsucro-certified companies can use the Bonsucro logo that promotes sustainability in sugarcane.
The Bonsucro Certified Sustainable Sugarcane seal is designed to help with your consumer messaging. It is exclusively for physical products that contain a minimum of 95% Bonsucro-certified sugarcane.
Learn more about making Bonsucro-related claims – check the Bonsucro website.
Click the tabs below to learn more about the stages in the Bonsucro Chain of Custody certification process.
The first step in the certification process is becoming a member of Bonsucro. Check the Bonsucro website for details.
|Application. First, fill in the application form and based on the information you share, we provide you with a pricing proposal.
|Preparation. Once you have accepted the proposal, you need to sign the Certification Agreement. Before the audit is carried out, you need to prepare for the certification by ensuring compliance with all the requirements specified in the Bonsucro Chain of Custody Standard.
|Audit. On the agreed dates, we will conduct the audit to check whether your system functions well. This is done through document reviews, field observation and interviews with your staff.
|Report. After the audit, we prepare a written report describing the results and compliance with the critical control points of the certification checklist. Any identified non-conformities are also described and these need to be corrected before the certificate can be issued.
|Certification. Upon a positive certification decision, the certificate is issued and sent to your company.
The Bonsucro certification options
An organisation has two options for its chosen unit of certification. These are:
- Single site: a single functional part of an organisation’s operations or a combination of parts situated at one locality, e.g., sugarcane mill, terminal, food processing, storage, tanks. Mills may only be single-site units.
- Multi-site: More than one location either within a single legal entity or across legal entities that are related via an ownership structure (e.g. common holding company). Such locations may be refineries, storage or other processing units, or offices. The sites may be within a single country or across international borders. One site of an included legal entity shall be designated as responsible for maintaining the central administration of the ChoC requirements including the Mass Balance accounting using an Internal Control System (ICS). Mills may not use the option of Multi-Site Certification.
Opportunities for bundle certifications
We are an accredited certification body for several certification programmes, including our own schemes, like the Carbon Footprint Support and Verification Programme.
Our Carbon Footprint Support and Verification Programme offers a range of services that align with your business needs. The integrated support approach to carbon footprint management (CFM) provides the necessary knowledge, tools and methods required to help you better manage and verify GHG emissions across your business, products or specific projects.
We have also created a universal framework to ensure big and small companies can optimise their positive impact. Our Sustainability Framework makes it possible to use it as a single tool to address all sustainability issues from child labour, pesticides and living wages, to deforestation, climate change and gender equality. The Framework is applicable to all commodities worldwide and suitable for both large and small companies seriously committed to sustainable business practices. Using a risk-based approach, the Framework also helps sourcing companies identify the high-risk areas that need attention.
- Expertise. With nearly 30 years of experience within certification, we have built a team of qualified auditors located across Europe, America, Russia, Africa, Oceania and Asia. We service companies of all sizes dealing with various agricultural products.
- Focus on customer experience. We aim to provide you with a beneficial service that is supportive and friendly. Our professional services are delivered on time and of high quality. We will keep you up to speed on evolving certification requirements through client updates and provide you with the support needed to understand and fulfil your certification commitments.
- Local presence, global reach. With staff located in over 40 countries and backed by an extensive global network of experts, we cater to companies in more than 100 countries.
- The non-profit factor. We are mission-driven, which is reflected in our focus on delivering our services with integrity and a high degree of professionalism.
By being certified against the Bonsucro Chain of Custody standard, you will be able to:
|Show that you are committed to ensuring producer communities and workers are treated fairly
|Establish traceable supply chains, ensuring traceability from origin to end product
|Measure productivity and demonstrate responsible production of your farms and mills
|Improve your business' economic viability
|Make credible third-party claims about responsible sugarcane sourcing and trading
|Meet your sustainability goals for a better planet