The Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) Fiber Sourcing Standard sets SFI apart from other forest certification programmes by governing how SFI-certified organisations source fiber from non-certified forestland.
The SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard applies to organisation that directly procure wood from forests, even if they do not own or manage the land. SFI-certified organisations must show that the raw material in their supply chain comes from legal and responsible sources, whether certified or not. Primary producers must be third-party audited and certified to the SFI 2022 Fiber Sourcing Standard.
The fiber sourcing requirements include measures to expand biodiversity, adopt forestry best management practices for water quality protection, outreach to landowners, and engagement of forest management and harvesting professionals.
The Fiber Sourcing Standard extends to organisations in the United States and Canada procuring wood either domestically or globally.
Click the tabs below to learn more.
Embark on your certification journey by completing our service request form or reaching out to us directly. Our experts will navigate you through the certification scope that aligns best with your company setup and needs.
The certification process
|Application process: Start by submitting a service application to Preferred by Nature. This information shapes a budget proposal and certification agreement tailored to your organisation.|
Certification preparation: Prepare for certification by ensuring compliance with all requirements. This involves system setup, responsibility assignment and staff training.
|Assessments: Onsite audits span 1-2 days, depending on fiber sourcing area, the number of personnel involved with the audit scope, operational size, accessibility and complexity. Audits involve interviews, document reviews and site visits.|
|Audit report: We provide a comprehensive audit report detailing results. Non-conformities are outlined, and significant ones require correction before certificate issuance.|
|Earning certificate: Upon a positive certification decision, you will receive the Forest Management Standard summary audit report and based on a positive certification decision, the certificate is issued.|
The SFI Fiber Sourcing Standard strategically targets millions of landowners through promotion, education, training and outreach.
Sources within the United States & Canada
SFI-certified organisations must comply with applicable laws while broadening responsible forestry. This includes addressing biodiversity conservation for Forests with Exceptional Conservation Value in purchased stumpage harvests and engaging qualified logging professionals, certified logging professionals and resource professionals.
Organisations must also invest in forestry research, science and technology, alongside developing verifiable monitoring systems to assess best management practices across the wood and fiber supply area.
Sources from jurisdictions outside North America
Particularly for regions lacking effective laws, SFI-certified organisations must conduct a risk assessment to avoid controversial sources and illegal logging-related fiber. They must also promote biodiversity hotspots and high biodiversity wilderness area conservation.
Although the risk of illegal logging in the United States and Canada is low, the market demands risk assessments across the entire supply chain. The SFI 2022 Fiber Sourcing Standard mandates risk assessment for illegal logging, regardless of origin.
- Expertise. Preferred by Nature, an international non-profit, supports better land management and business practices across 100+ countries. With nearly 30 years of experience, we have fostered sustainable land use and responsible sourcing in forest commodities, certifying over 33 million hectares of forest land and farms and 1 million farmers. Our clientele ranges from retailers, producers and traders to multinational multi-site and group certificate holders, as well as small enterprises and smallholders.
- Customer focus. We keep you up to speed on the certification requirements and we take pride in providing clear and full answers to your questions.
- Industry insight. We cater to companies of all sizes and from all business sectors along the supply chain. For any line of business and company setup, we possess insight on the specific options and challenges of certification that apply to your organisation.
- Local presence, global reach. With staff located in over 40 countries across the globe and backed by an extensive global network of experts, we cater to companies worldwide.
- Wider service choice. We offer a wide range of additional services to support your sustainability efforts.
- Mission-driven approach. Our mission shapes our focus on quality, information sharing and capacity building.
Five advantages of gaining the SFI Forest Management certification:
- Credibility and trust: SFI Fiber Sourcing certification demonstrates responsible sourcing commitment, building market reputation and consumer trust.
- Wider market access: Certification expands your market reach, connecting with customers who value responsible sourcing.
- Enhance transparency: The certification process traces fiber origin in your supply chain, assuring customers of responsible and verified sourcing.
- Supporting forest management: Sourcing from responsible forests contributes to biodiversity conservation, water quality protection and ecosystem health.
- Sustainability goals alignment: Certification aligns with your sustainability goals, showcasing environmental responsibility and ethical practices.