Preferred by Nature Certification supports individuals and organisations in driving positive change towards a sustainable future.
Preferred by Nature has developed a framework containing a universal set of performance-based principles and criteria that address core aspects of sustainability across commodities and supply chains.
The Sustainability Framework, which is the core normative standard of the program, is built on our decades of experience mapping supply chains, working with land managers and assessing risk worldwide. It can be used for land managers, retailers, and every step in between.
Preferred by Nature Certification is also aligned with emerging Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) reporting standards. This makes it a valuable resource for individuals and organisations committed to good ESG practices.
The Certification provides you with knowledge, tools and resources to build a sustainable future, from reducing carbon emissions to promoting social responsibility and nature protection.
Click the tabs below to learn more.
Unpacking the Programme
The Sustainability Framework Programme covers 4 principles, with 25 criteria and 159 indicators.
1. Comprehensive framework for sustainability practices, covering climate considerations
- Clear performance based requirements
- Designed to harmonise different sustainability requirements that already exist for various commodities and products
- Applies a risk-based approach to focus on essential issues for each product and supply chain
- Credible, transparent and impartial implementation
2. Adaptable all-in-one, result-oriented standard
- Applicable to forestry and agriculture, and other sectors globally and used in land use certification and due diligence
- Suitable for operations of all scales, dealing with various commodities, and all supply chain levels (land managers, producers, factories, mills, processors, traders, manufacturers, brands, retailers)
- Adapts to emerging markets and adjusts to new regulatory requirements, such as the EU Deforestation Regulation
- Covers all critical aspects of sustainability, including strong requirements for due diligence and comprehensive consideration of ESG criteria
- Combines traditional sustainability issues with climate aspects for a more holistic approach to sustainable practices
3. Unlocking synergies with other certification schemes
- The Sustainability Framework has been benchmarked against major international forestry and agriculture standards such as the Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM) Forest Management Standard and Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Standard: Farm Requirements
- Such benchmarking exercises assess the Framework’s coverage and identify the focused criteria for add-on audits.
- Can be used as an add-on to existing certification services against other schemes by Preferred by Nature
- Integrates missing components into your regular audits, maximising efficiency & cost savings
- Allows simultaneous certification in additional areas with other certification scheme audits
4. EU Deforestation Regulation alignment
- Includes 46 indicators related to EUDR conformance, supporting Regulation-required risk assessments
- Provides a certificate for conformance with the Sustainability Framework EUDR indicators
- Certification against specific indicators from the Sustainability Framework: legality, deforestation and forest degradation
- Aims to facilitate decision-making for operators and other actors in the supply chain
- Objective to ensure smallholder inclusivity and empowerment
- Offers additional tools, such as Sourcing Hub and Due Diligence toolkit (supply chain mapping, risk assessment)
5. Communicating sustainability and carbon mitigation efforts using the Preferred by Nature Seal
- Validates sustainability excellence
- Can be used in supply chains and on final products depending on the conditions met
- Symbolises your commitment to caring about people, nature and climate
Preferred by Nature, an international non-profit, supports better land management and business practices across 100+ countries. With 30 years of experience, we have worked to foster sustainable land use and responsible sourcing in forest & climate impact commodities. Our team have certified over 33 million hectares of forest land and farms, and more than 1 million foresters and farmers.
With staff located in over 40 countries across the globe and backed by an extensive global network of experts, we cater to companies and smallholders worldwide.
Why work with us?
Backed by our dedicated team, you'll be able to create a roadmap for your sustainability journey, make informed decisions and positively impact people, nature and climate.
Earn the Preferred by Nature Certification and play an active role in shaping a brighter future!