Preferred by Nature’s Responsible Biomass Programme covers verification and certification of all links in the biomass chain from forest to energy company.
Here you find more information about the following:
- Current legal requirements for biomass
- Verification of reports for companies subject to reporting (applicable to Danish companies subject to reporting)
- Certification of producers and distributors of wood-based biomass
- Overview of companies certified according to Preferred by Nature's Standard for Biomass Producers
On 30 June 2021, Denmark introduced new requirements for biomass for energy purposes linked with the requirements of the RENEWABLE Energy Directive (RED II).
It means that each year some companies must report information to the Danish Energy Agency about the biomass used, including details referring to its geographical origin, quantities and type, as well as on compliance with the requirements for the biomass they have used, produced or imported.
For more information about the legislation, biomass types and reporting, please check the Danish Energy Agency's website.
Preferred by Nature's Programme for Responsible Danish Biomass covers services dedicated to both reporting companies and companies that supply biomass to these companies.
For the second half of 2021 and for the whole of 2022, the following companies are obliged to report to the Danish Energy Agency if they use biomass fuels from forest, waste and residues from the wood industry and wood biomass from non-forestation (the alert must be verified by approved third parties):
- All energy undertakings with district heating boilers or cogeneration blocks of more than 5 MW
- All companies with industrial boilers of more than 20 MW
- Importers and producers of more than 20,000 tonnes of pellets per year.
From 30 June 2023, the reporting obligation will be extended to:
- All energy companies with district heating cones or heat blocks of over 2.5 MW
- All companies with industrial boilers of more than 2.5 MW
- Importers and producers of more than 5,000 tonnes of pellets, firewood and briquettes per year.
Application for verification
If you are interested in verification of your reporting and would like to receive an offer from us, please fill in the relevant form and send it to: email@example.com
- Energy producer (electricity and heating systems) or industrial plants
- Importers and producers of wood pellets
Criteria for verification of reports
Learn more about the Criteria for the verification of reports.
Certification of biomass producers and distributors
Preferred by Nature offers certification and verification of biomass producers and distributors to demonstrate that their biomass meets the legal requirements that have been introduced. You can get certified against internationally recognised standards, such as the Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP), Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) and Programme for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC).
In addition, Preferred by Nature offers an option to certify/verify biomass producers according to Preferred by Nature’s Standard for Biomass Producers: The Standard for Biomass Producers
The standard is adapted to the Danish legislation and includes requirements for the wood-based biomass types covered by the legal requirements.
If you are interested in verification as a biomass producer and would like to receive an offer from us, please fill in this form.
Overview of companies verified according to Preferred by Nature's Standard for Biomass Producers
The overview below includes biomass producers and biomass distributors verified against Preferred by Nature's Standard for Biomass Producers.
Verification shall cover the activities and biomass types set out in the verification certificate.
Please note that verification is valid for the period specified in the verification certificate unless the list below indicates that the verification is:
- Suspended - temporary withdrawal of approval due to lack or inadequate follow-up of deviations
- Terminated - final withdrawal of approval.
For suspended and terminated certificates, the verification is invalid from the expiry date indicated in the table below, and from that date the company cannot claim biomass as verified by Preferred by Nature.
Click HERE to check the list of the companies verified according to Preferred by Nature's Standard for Biomass Producers.