Mónica is our Senior Social Programme Specialist. She helps Preferred by Nature to increase its positive impacts in relation to social aspects throughout its services and project activities, including bringing focus to the relevant social topics through our strategic discussions and strategy advancements, service and systems development. Monica’s position acts as the overall point of contact for social expertise for service delivery as well as project development and implementation.
I am pleased to join an organisation that has a long history of working to guarantee the responsible use of the world's natural resources, and that develops and applies certifications for sustainable land management and the preservation of biodiversity. From the social area, I am excited to join in addressing social problems, seeking to generate positive impacts both towards nature, people and communities.
Monica leads the development of Preferred by Nature's social engagement and impact strategy in coordination with other relevant divisions and units, identifying core areas for increasing our social impact and expertise. Her role entails oversight of the implementation of relevant projects or components of the projects with a social focus and the engagement with relevant stakeholders and partners representing the organisation in relation to the areas of priority social topics.
She is a social scientist with 30 years of international experience in human rights, development, gender and migration. Her work and research focused on social core topics in different countries of Latin America, centering on women’s rights, gender-related issues, human rights, women migrant workers and families associated, children’s rights and related themes. She has an MSc. from the National Autonomous University of Mexico.
She speaks Spanish, English and Portuguese. Mónica is the first person in the team with direct and exclusive responsibilities on social issues, working across the organisation starting with agriculture developments.
Monica joined Preferred by Nature in 2022.
- Areas of expertise: Capacity Building and Public Policies, Analysis and Research, Management, Public Speaking, Teaching.
- Certification in Human Performance Improvement, Association for Talent Development.
- Wide experience working with donors (EU, USAID, OXFAM, GIZ), Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), Public Sector (Mexico and Bolivia) and UN Agencies (UN Women, UNRISD).
- Countries worked in: México, Brazil, Bolivia, Chile, Uruguay, Peru, Colombia, Ecuador, Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, España.
- Languages spoken: Spanish, English and Portuguese.