Preferred by Nature's Sustainability Framework Programme empowers individuals and organisations to take meaningful action towards a more sustainable future.
At our core, we believe in creating a better world, one that is sustainable and equitable for all. To achieve this goal, we have developed the Sustainability Framework Programme that empowers individuals and organisations seriously committed to sustainability to drive positive change.
The Sustainability Framework Programme is designed to equip you with the knowledge, tools and resources needed to build a sustainable future, from reducing carbon emissions to promoting social responsibility or nature protection.
Click the tabs below to learn more.
Unpacking the programme
The Sustainability Framework Programme covers 4 principles, with 25 criteria and 159 indicators.
1. A comprehensive framework for sustainability practices, covering climate considerations
- Designed to harmonise different sustainability requirements that already exist for various commodities and products
- Can be applied through a risk-based approach to focus on essential issues for each product and supply chain
- Credible, transparent and impartial standard
2. An adaptable all-in-one standard with focus on outcomes and performance
- Focuses on performance and outcomes rather than systems and procedures
- Applicable to forestry and agriculture, and other sectors in any country/region and used in land use verification and due diligence
- Suitable for operations of all scales, dealing with various commodities, and all supply chain levels (land managers, producers, factories, mills, processors, traders, manufacturers, brands, retailers)
- Adapts to emerging markets and adjusts to new regulatory requirements, such as the EU Deforestation Regulation
- Covers all critical aspects of sustainability and includes strong requirements for due diligence
- The program combines traditional sustainability and climate mitigation aspects for a more holistic approach to sustainable practices.
3. Unlocking synergies with other certification schemes
- To assess the Programme's coverage and identify the focused criteria for add-on audits, the Sustainability Framework Programme has been benchmarked against the Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM) Forest Management Standard and Rainforest Alliance Sustainable Agriculture Standard: Farm Requirements, with more standards to follow.
- Can be used as an add-on to existing Preferred by Nature certification services.
- Integrates missing components into your regular audits, maximising efficiency & cost savings
- Allows simultaneous verification in additional areas with other certification scheme audits
4. EU Deforestation Regulation alignment
- Includes 46 indicators for EUDR compliance, supporting Regulation-required risk assessments
- Provides a verification certificate for compliance with the Sustainability Framework Programme EUDR indicators
- Verification against specific indicators from the Sustainability Framework: legality, deforestation and forest degradation
- Aims to facilitate decision-making for operators and other actors in the supply chain
- With an objective to ensure smallholder inclusivity and empowerment
- Offers additional tools, such as Sourcing Hub and Due Diligence toolkit (supply chain mapping, risk assessment)
5. Communicating sustainability and carbon mitigation efforts using the Preferred by Nature Seal
- Validates sustainability excellence
- Can be used in supply chains and on final products depending on the conditions which are met
- Symbolises your commitment to caring about people, nature and the climate
Preferred by Nature, an international non-profit, supports better land management and business practices across 100+ countries. With nearly 30 years of experience, we have fostered sustainable land use and responsible sourcing in forest commodities, certifying over 33 million hectares of forest land and farms and more than 1 million foresters and farmers.
With staff located in over 40 countries across the globe and backed by an extensive global network of experts, we cater to companies worldwide.
Supporting your compliance with the EUDR
Since the announcement of the EU Deforestation Regulation proposal in November 2021, Preferred by Nature has closely tracked its development. We bring years of experience supporting businesses and affected stakeholders with the EU Timber Regulation (EUTR). Our status as a recognised EUTR Monitoring Organisation and alignment of our LegalSourceTM due diligence system with the EUTR further underscores our expertise.
Drawing from our extensive experience in working with businesses in responsible sourcing and production of various commodities, we are ready to also support you with your EUDR compliance and have developed the Sustainability Framework program to align with the new EUDR requirements.
Why work with us?
Backed by our dedicated team, you'll be able to create a roadmap for your sustainability journey, make informed decisions and positively impact both people and the planet.
Join the Sustainability Framework Programme and play an active role in shaping a brighter future!