Explore the travel industry's rigorous sustainability standard that provides credibility for sustainability efforts by private nature-based tourism businesses.
The Global Ecosphere Retreats® (GER®) Standard considers every aspect of the 4CS: Conservation, Community, Culture and Commerce. On top of mitigating negative impacts, the Standard positively transforms the well-being of the planet and people. The GER® Standard is used for verification and recognition of work in sustainability by private nature-based tourism businesses.
The Standard is recognised by the Global Sustainable Tourism Council (GSTC) and widely acknowledged as the travel industry's most rigorous sustainability standards.
Preferred by Nature has been involved in the development of the GER® Standard since 2014.
The GER® Standard is unparalleled by any other standard as it:
- considers the unique mission, destination, business and ecosystem of each member
- provides the framework for a journey of continuous improvement and is not merely a compliance exercise
- is earned rather than granted, following a thorough assessment and roadmap by experts
- is only offered to those that influence a substantial ecosystem and therefore, where tourism has the most positive impact
- prioritises financial sustainability, demonstrating that conserving nature is an economic imperative
- features two onsite assessments; an initial diagnostic to plan the journey and the standard assessment by external assessors to ensure impartiality
The GER® status is valid for six years, with a compulsory mid-term (three year) review to ensure compliance and develop new strategic sustainability plan, if needed.
The GER® is not an end goal – it is a framework for a continuous and dynamic journey of improvement. Learn more on The Long Run's website.