Do you have a passion for forestry and the environment? Do you want to make an impact on sustainability by ensuring businesses meet the right standards and address environmental deficiencies? If so, then you might be the match for our role as Sustainability Controller with a forestry background based in Denmark.
What you can expect
As a Sustainability Controller with a forestry background, you will assess and verify the sustainability and legality of practices related the forest and biomass-related products of our clients. For this, your professionalism and focus on quality will be central in managing part our client portfolio. Upon joining Preferred by Nature, you will have the opportunity to learn and develop the skills needed to manage certifications for clients and learning how to audit sustainability standards within forestry, biomass and chain of custody all with our distinct Preferred by Nature quality.
Working with us is never routine so in the first year you can expect the following areas to be central to your work.
- Help strengthen Preferred by Nature’s brand by helping us manage our portfolio of 250+ certified clients in Denmark and ensure the audit processes are completed on time and with quality.
- Building and maintaining professional relationships with clients by diligently planning audits and ensuring that high-quality reports are submitted on time.
- Gain valuable insights in forestry by using your ability to communicate with people at all levels of our client’s organization and with people with a diverse set of occupational and educational backgrounds.
- Grow your own network and Preferred by Nature’s client base by serving as a primary point of contact to support potential, new and existing clients with their sustainable certifications.
Within three months, you will:
- If you don't have certification experience, we will provide the necessary training related to Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM) Standards and give you the skills needed to audit these in accordance with our high-quality standards.
- Be prepared to take the Supply Chain exam and aim to successfully pass it.
- Grow your auditing skills by learning from the best auditors in Denmark by participating as an observer in four audit processes.
- Understand the relevance of our systems and digital tools, which are fundamental to running an efficient auditing business.
Within six months, you will:
- Gain expertise in auditing through the Preferred by Nature method by learning the tricks of the trade and implementing best practices.
- Take steps towards working independently as an auditor by completing several audits as a trainee auditor along with writing, reviewing and finalizing certification reports.
- Efficiently manage time to prioritise tasks and effectively use Salesforce to optimise workflows and data management.
Within one year, you will:
- Successfully complete audits as a trained auditor in accordance with FSC/PEFC standards.
- Attain full proficiency as a Forest Management (FM)/Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP) auditor through rigorous training and hands-on experience, and successfully carry out audits independently.
- Continue developing expertise by working with new programmes and departments within Preferred by Nature.
Important that you
- To receive full proficiency and a certificate in the required auditing methods you need to have a relevant education similar to that of a bachelor's degree and 4-5 years of relevant work experience OR High school certificate or similar AND 10 years of relevant work experience
- Are fluent in English and Danish
- Are willing to travel within Denmark
- Have a valid driving license
- Can manage competing priorities while working both independently and as part of a team
Would also be great, but not necessary, if you:
- Have knowledge of Sustainable Biomass Program (SBP) and/or Forest Stewardship Council/ Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification certification systems is an advantage.
- Have knowledge of the Preferred by Nature and/or FSC certification protocols.
If this sounds like you, we would love to hear from you!
What sets us apart
- Global work culture
- Hybrid working setup (work from home and visiting one of the offices in Horning and/or Copenhagen)
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training that prepares you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
Preferred by Nature
Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission-driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate-impact commodities and related sectors.
How to apply
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your CV and cover letter (in English), including salary expectations by 15 June 2023 via the application form here.
Application pre-screening will be conducted during the application period.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Anna Yavlyanskaya, HR Specialist