Preferred by Nature is a non-profit organisation that works for sustainable land use and climate-friendly solutions. With 270+ staff around the world, our activities include building capacity, raising awareness, conserving nature and streamlining sustainability through best practices and innovations.
Preferred by Nature’s Project and Solutions (PAS) division provides tailored services to commercial clients and donors to support their goals to meet:
- Legal requirements for sourcing natural resources (EUTR, Lacey Act, RED II, upcoming ...).
- Corporate Sustainablity policies, commitments, and strategic targets;
- Global initiatives and sustainability standards (includes FSC, RA SAS, SBP, RSPO, CanopyStyle, AFi, etc);
- UN Sustainable Development Goals
The Responsible Sourcing Specialist’s main responsibilities will include:
- Responsible Sourcing: Provide advisory services to a portfolio of clients in the timber, palm oil, textiles, soy, beef and other natural resource sectors to support them in their goals to meet legal requirements and sustainability commitments. Support clients in the development and implementation of systems for responsible sourcing and associated activities, including policy development, supply chain engagement, risk assessment and risk mitigation activities (supplier audits, capacity building, stakeholder consultation, etc.).
- Service Delivery: Support Preferred by Nature team activities including quality, timeliness and financial oversight in relation to client service delivery. Related activities may include oversight of reporting staff, and management of capacity, as well as providing technical guidance and quality control for the work conducted by the regional team.
- Sales and Market development: Support/conduct direct sales for sustainability services, including: conducting sales meetings with clients, identifying service needs, creating/reviewing budgets and proposals, according to internal sales procedures. Conduct activities to raise the profile of Preferred by Nature and PAS services in the region with the purpose of achieving our mission goals, as well as reaching regional revenue targets.
- Bachelor’s degree in forestry or other natural science discipline, agriculture etc.
- Proven experience in the forestry or agricultural sector of minimum 2 years.
- Experience in working on corporate social responsibility or ESG policy development and implementation.
- Communication skills: fluency in English (and excellent oral and written communication skills) is essential, as well as the candidate’s native language, if different.
- Strong computer knowledge (Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point..).
Preferred requirements – any of the below are an asset
- Understanding of, or experience with, risk-based approaches to timber-legality and/or sustainability sourcing.
- Knowledge of forestry legislation as well as associated laws around transport and trade of timber products.
- Experience implementing/auditing EU Timber Regulation due diligence or other timber-legality verification systems, SBP Certification and/or FSC CW certification. For example, as a 3rd party or internal auditor.
- Awareness and/or experience working with forest-risk commodities, deforestation, High Conservation Values (HCVs), traditional and civil rights and other relevant ESG concerns.
- Field or related experience working in high-risk countries for timber-legality and/or other forest-risk commodities.
- Fluency in one or more of the following languages: Danish/Swedish, French, Russian or German.
- You are a service minded, open and friendly person. You enjoy, and are confident, communicating with people on all levels.
- You are well organised, can juggle multiple tasks, and are able to maintain structure in your work. The nature of the position requires you to be able to work autonomously and remotely from your colleagues.
- You have good planning and time management skills and an analytical approach.
- You are proactive and can think one step ahead.
- Paying attention to details comes naturally to you – and you excel at it!
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation.
- You are comfortable with a remote-working environment, where most communication with colleagues around the world occurs via skype, zoom, emails and telephone.
- You believe in Preferred by Nature’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: full time employment
- The position reports to our PAS Senior Manager
- Working location: Preferred by Nature office (as available) or home office/shared office space in the European Union/United Kingdom.
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of Preferred by Nature through the annual General Assembly
- International training in certification services provided by Preferred by Nature
- Potential international travel opportunities.
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 25 September 2021 via the webform below. We will conduct interviews on an ongoing basis until we have identified the right candidate, so send us your application as soon as possible.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Tereza Bezecna, Senior HR Specialist Europe and Russia.
David Hadley Garcia, Senior Manager, Tailored Services.