Preferred by Nature (also known as Nature, Economy and People Connected) is a non-profit organisation that works for sustainable land use and climate-friendly solutions. With 260+ staff around the world, our projects build capacity, raise awareness, conserve nature and streamline sustainability through innovation.
We are seeking to hire a Market Development and Forest Certification Specialist based in Gabon.
In this role, you will apply your highly developed market focus, client management and quality auditing service skills. You will work within our team to collectively provide client management and auditing services to a subset of forestry and forest product clients in Central Africa. You will also be directly involved in all aspects of market development, forestry and forest product certification assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, technical guidance, consultant management, quality control and acting as auditor/lead auditor.
This role will manage all facets of market development, certification and organisation policy compliance while maintaining a high level of professionalism, efficiency and quality of service as measured by client satisfaction and quality/assurance monitoring and reporting metrics, and conformance with the certification standards. You will also act as technical lead and or /trainer on specific subjects, as required.
This position is multi-faceted and includes:
Market Development (approximately 50% of your time)
- Working with our Africa Market and Development Director, you will be responsible for our business development, sales and marketing of our Project and Certification services within the subregion;
- Develop relationships with potential certification applicants and broaden the general knowledge and awareness towards the certification as an instrument of good forest management and marketing in Central Africa;
- Track events and identify those that are important for Preferred by Nature to attend. Then represent Preferred by Nature in local events;
- Be the first point of contact for key client management for the local representatives from global key clients.
Forest related certification (approximately 50% of your time)
- Ensure that Preferred by Nature certification services in Central Africa follows our quality procedures;
- Perform Legal Source, FSC (FM/COC, CoC, FM/CW, others) preassessments, assessments and audits as well as their respective reports and review auditors reports for Central Africa;
- Oversee staff and consultants who provide certification and verification services for FSC, legality of verification, and other services to Preferred by Nature clients in Central Africa;
- In collaboration with the Africa Forestry Manager and Africa Market and Development Director, perform work/supervisor manager duties for Central Africa regarding the scope certification, evaluation and auditing. This includes budget, service agreement elaboration, formation and hiring of audit teams, logistic support for auditors and reports review and elaboration;
- Develop, implement and manage annual audit schedules and ensure timely and efficient completion of annual audits;
- Monitor and maintain the status of the certificate client portfolio (activations, suspensions, terminations, changes in scope, updating customer data, etc.);
- Assure that auditors follow and implement all technical and administrative Preferred by Nature’s certification protocols in the region.
- University degree (BSc or MSc) in forestry, biology, geography, environmental studies or related field;
- Professional experience in the timber industry in Central Africa, preferably in the private sector;
- Prior experience with auditing FSC, PAFC, LegalSource and/or experience with business development, sales and marketing, and/or project writing will be considered an advantage.;
- Travel up to 40% of the time throughout the region and occasionally elsewhere;
- Preferably more than 7 years’ work experience from the forestry, timber or forest product sector
- Fluency in French and English (our organisational language), both spoken and written is a must.
- You are a service minded, open and friendly person, who likes – and is good at – communicating with people on all levels;
- You are well organised and have the ability to maintain structure in in your work;
- You have good planning and time management skills and an analytical approach;
- You are proactive and can think one step ahead on practicalities;
- Paying attention to details comes naturally to you – and you are good at it!
- You are a diligent person, who have demonstrated that you can juggle multiple tasks;
- You are a constructive team-player and have an open attitude towards other cultures, as we collaborate across borders in our organisation working in over 100 countries;
- You believe in Preferred by Nature’s vision and mission and want to contribute to fulfilling it.
- Work time: 40 hours/week (full-time);
- Reports to: Africa Market Development Director;
- Working location from your home if possible;
- Salary: commensurate with qualifications and experience;
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible.
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere;
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment;
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development;
- All employees are members of the organisation and have the opportunity to contribute to the overall development of Preferred by Nature through the annual General Assembly;
- Potential international training and travel opportunities.
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 15 May 2021 via the application form below.
Note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in Gabon will be considered.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Sandra Razanamandranto, Africa Market Development Director