Headquartered in Denmark, Preferred by Nature a non-profit organisation that works for sustainable land use and climate-friendly solutions. With 310+ staff around the world, our projects build capacity, raise awareness, conserve nature and streamline sustainability through innovation. We focus our work on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors. Preferred by Nature’s US office is based in Richmond, Vermont.
We are seeking Forest Management Contract Auditors to be based in the US. Ideal locations include the Southeastern United States or California.
Forest Management (FM) Auditors perform third-party audits according to Preferred by Nature certification policies/procedures and the requirements of the applicable Forest Stewardship CouncilTM (FSCTM), Sustainable Forestry Initiative® (SFI), American Tree Farm System (ATFS), and/or other forest management standards.
Contract auditors are responsible for conducting confidential stakeholder outreach, planning audit site visits, collecting and interpreting objective evidence, observing management activities in the field, and interviewing auditee staff. Contract auditors deliver reports to Preferred by Nature based on audit findings after the on-site work.
As representatives of Preferred by Nature, contract auditors are expected to uphold the highest standards of quality, integrity and professionalism. Contractors are responsible for staying up-to-date on standard requirements and attending occasional trainings and meetings. Completion of assigned work deliverables within established timelines is essential.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Forestry, Natural Resource Management, Forest Ecology, or related field required, Master’s Degree a plus
- Minimum of 5 years of field experience in forestry, forest ecology or related areas. Silviculture and harvesting experience a plus; experience in Forest Carbon and/or Sustainable Biomass projects a plus
- Previous auditing experience and/or ISO training preferred
- Willingness to attend auditor and ISO training (if needed) at own expense
- Knowledge of Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) and American Tree Farm System (ATFS) certification preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- French or Spanish fluency a plus
- Strong computer skills (word processing, databases, spreadsheets) and presentation skills
- Ability to work with a wide variety of people
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to take initiative, be resourceful and dependable
- Field auditing may require exposure to difficult terrain and hot, dry, cold or inclement weather
- Valid driver's license
- Willingness to travel (local and nationally)
Audits are awarded and performed on a contract basis. Contractors are paid at an agreed-upon daily rate, including travel expenses. Contractors are required to provide their own equipment.
How to apply
Please e-mail your resume and a short statement of interest and qualifications (1-2 paragraphs) with the subject title “FM Contractor Auditor Position” to Randy Coots (firstname.lastname@example.org ). The positions are open until filled.
Note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
Preferred by Nature wishes our auditors to reflect the diversity of society and welcomes applications from all qualified candidates, regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Randy Coots, Forestry Specialist