Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
We are currently seeking an Environmental Auditor with forest products experience to be based in the midwestern United States, Ontario or Quebec, Canada.
The Environmental Auditor (Forest Products) is directly involved in all aspects of environmental certification assessments and audits including scheduling, project management, customer service, technical guidance, consultant management and quality control. S/he manages all facets of certification and organisation policy compliance while maintaining a high level of professionalism, efficiency and quality of service as measured by client satisfaction and quality/assurance monitoring and reporting metrics, and conformance with the certification standards.
What you will do
- Manage the execution of environmental assessments and audits throughout the region against Forest Stewardship Council (FSC), Sustainable Forestry Initiative (SFI) & Program for the Endorsement of Forest Certification (PEFC) certification schemes, to include budgeting, service contracts, audit team identification, logistical planning, coordinating contract auditors, report review, and finalising and approving reports.
- Working as part of the team, serving as primary client contact, lead auditor/auditor and reviewer for primarily team client assessments and audits.
- Support team on selected audits as required.
- Provide regular progress reports on audit timelines, key performance indicators and fiscal year goal progress to the supervisor.
- Develop and provide strong expertise, and remain current and highly knowledgeable in standards, policies, and protocols.
- Ensure efficiency, quality control and adherence to technical and administration certification protocols for all jobs directly under her/his responsibilities.
- Provide customer service to current and potential clients including, but not limited to, providing information about certification, market linkages, guidance on the certification process, marketing and responding to inquiries relating to supply chain certification.
- In coordination with his/her supervisor and other staff, participate in implementing marketing activities that will increase portfolios, and business plans that increase the overall competitiveness of Preferred by Nature in the marketplace as required.
- Provide input for policy development and technical improvements to the certification system.
- Support the development and launch of new products and services and assist in field testing.
- Manage specific programmes/responsibilities as required.
Who you are
- You have a post-secondary education (college/CEGEP/university) plus two years of professional experience in the forest products sector; OR secondary education (high school) plus four years of professional experience in the forest products sector.
- You have strong word processing, databases, spreadsheets and presentation skills.
- You can manage competing priorities while working both independently and as part of a team.
- You are ready to take accountability for individual and team actions and goals.
- You have the initiative to recognise and create opportunities and act accordingly with a results-oriented mindset, taking direct action to attain or exceed objectives.
- You are adaptable, in the sense of remaining flexible and functional in changing circumstances.
- You have the ability to travel up to 50% of the time (overnight travel will be required at times).
- Your knowledge of FSC, SFI, PEFC and/or other forestry, supply chain and/or sustainability certifications will be a plus.
- French fluency is also a plus.
If you have the qualities listed above, we would be delighted to discuss your potential further.
What we offer you
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training to provide you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative international organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Additional information:
- Work time: Full-time with competitive benefits
- The position reports to our Manager, Supply Chains
- Working location: Home-based, remote office (Midwestern US, Ontario or Quebec, Canada)
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply?
Please submit your CV and letter of application (in English), including salary expectations, by 30 November 2022 via the webform below.
Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in the United States and/or Canada will be considered.
We will conduct interviews on an ongoing basis until we have identified the right candidate, so send us your application as soon as possible.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Angus McAuslan, Supply Chains Manager