Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
We are now looking for an Agriculture Specialist to join our team in Sri Lanka on a permanent contract.
What you will do
As an Agriculture Specialist, your main tasks will involve planning, conducting and administering supply chain audits for wood processing and forest enterprises according to the agreed plan.
Other duties will include:
- Pursue and maintain his/her qualification as auditor of Preferred by Nature’s agriculture-related certification and verification including but not limited to Rainforest Alliance, SRP, Global G.A.P, BCI, UEBT, CAFÉ Practices, Sustainability Framework, and RSPO.
- Conduct audit in accordance with his/her competence, including the on-site visits or remote planning and evaluation, and report writing for appointed clients of Preferred by Nature’s agriculture-related certification and verification mainly in South Asia.
- Pursue and maintain his/her qualification as task manager of Preferred by Nature’s agriculture-related certification and verification including but not limited to Rainforest Alliance, SRP, Global G.A.P, BCI, UEBT, CAFÉ Practices, Sustainability Framework, and RSPO.
- Task managing in accordance with his/her competence, including providing general support; audit budgeting, planning, and scheduling; and maintaining certification or verification database of appointed clients of Preferred by Nature’s agriculture-related certification and verification in India.
- Writing audit reports and presenting findings of the evaluations
- Providing customer service to current and potential clients of Preferred by Nature
- Supporting market development for Preferred by Nature in South Asia
- Supporting other team members in the coordination and administration of customer care
- Providing technical support and expertise in environmental projects run by Preferred by Nature
- Other duties as assigned
Who you are
- Successful completion of post-high school (post-secondary school) training in agriculture or horticulture, natural resources, environmental sciences, social sciences, science, rural development or similar. This shall include the understanding and application of Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- You may have experience in auditing farm and supply chain standards. Experience with auditing and/or familiarity with FSC/PEFC CoC, SBP or RA SAS standards will be considered an additional asset.
- We would be interested in hearing from you if you know of other Standards too, such as UTZ, Organic, ASC/ MSC, BRC, GFSI, HACCP, IFS, ISO 9001, ISO 22000, RSPO, SA 8000
- Approximately 2-3 years of experience in the forest product sector (timber, printing, paper industry, forestry) and related industries as well as in environment management
- You are fluent in English and Sinhala, other local languages Tamil will be considered an additional asset
- You are comfortable travelling nationwide (and internationally) as part of your job role (appr. 50% of work time)
- You have a high level of integrity to carry out your role ethically whilst addressing clients’ needs.
- You are comfortable making independent decisions. The nature of the job requires you to work independently and often remotely
- You believe in Preferred by Nature’s mission and want to contribute to it
- Have a high level of integrity and business ethics to strike a balance between serving clients and at the same time not compromising your role as an auditor
If you have the qualities listed above, we are delighted to discuss your potential further.
What we offer you
- 20 days of vacation
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training to equip you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role
- An exciting and challenging position within a dynamic and innovative global organisation with a mission-driven work atmosphere
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Work time: 40 Hours
- Working location: home office
- Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience
- The position is located in Sri Lanka with the possibility to work remotely.
- The position holder reports to the Team leader for Agriculture- South Asia, based in Sri Lanka
- Expected starting date: as soon as possible
How to apply
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your Letter of Application and CV (in English), including salary expectations by 31 January 2023 via the application form below.
Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in Sri Lanka will be considered.
Application pre-screening will be conducted during the application period.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Fahmi Wahab - Senior HR Specialist