Do you have a passion for agriculture and the environment? Do you want to make a difference by ensuring businesses meet the right standards and address environmental deficiencies?
If so, then you might be the match for our role as Agricultural Certification Specialist, managing the execution of farm and supply chain audits on the west coast.
As soon as you start your new job, you'll begin training and learn how to audit our sustainability standards and manage certification for clients. You'll be auditing against our approved agriculture standards and assist in developing and improving these services. After a few months, you'll be supporting the success and growth of our agricultural certification services in the US and Canada.
You will be…
- managing a portfolio of certified clients to ensure their required audits are scheduled, carried out and completed on time.
- working with budgeting, logistical planning, report review and database administration.
- conducting sustainability audits for clients when needed.
- acting as a primary point of contact to support new and existing clients with their sustainable certifications.
Don't have certification experience? No problem! We will provide the necessary training for you to obtain it because working with Preferred by Nature is very much about your growth.
Within one month, you will:
- Meet the team and learn our systems, tools and resources available
- If relevant, begin training to audit to the applicable sustainability standards (Rainforest Alliance (RA), The Union for Ethical BioTrade (UEBT), Café Practices, Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil (RSPO) Supply Chain, Sustainable Rice Platform (SRP), etc.)
- Begin management of a portfolio of certified clients
Within three months, you will:
- Be technically proficient in the applicable supply chain certifications
- Attain auditor qualifications for one or more sustainable certifications
- Travel to client’s facilities to assist in conducting on-site sustainability audits
Within one year, you will:
- Attain lead auditor qualification for the relevant sustainable certifications
- Work with the team to determine avenues for growth and development of new and existing certifications
- Continue developing expertise by working with new programmes and departments within Preferred by Nature
Important that you
- Have a bachelor's degree with a concentration in Agriculture, Ecology, Biology, Conservation or a related field
- Have at least two years of experience in farming or agricultural supply chains
- Can manage competing priorities while working both independently and as part of a team
- Can manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Have strong customer service skills/orientation: ability and willingness to find out what the customer wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organisation's costs and benefits into account
- Are willing to travel up to 50% of the time
Would also be great, but not necessary if you:
- Have experience auditing agricultural, social, and/or management certification schemes (RA, RSPO, UEBT, SRP, Global GAP, Café Practices, or similar)
- Knowledge of Rainforest Alliance certification, RSPO certification, or similar a plus
- Have experience working with palm oil
- Have dual work eligibility (US and Canada)
- Are fluent in Spanish or another language
What Sets Us Apart
- Global work culture
- Work from home, from our office or both
- An in-depth onboarding and professional training that prepares you with the right skills and knowledge to thrive in this role
- Excellent opportunities for growth and professional development
- Potential future international travel opportunities
- A friendly, international team of colleagues, with a pleasant work environment
- Medical/Dental/Vision/FSA plus company-sponsored STD, LTD and Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan with generous match
- 24 days of vacation leave per year plus federal holidays
Preferred by Nature
Preferred by Nature is a non-profit, mission driven organisation that works for sustainable land management and climate-friendly solutions. With 300+ employees and a network of local experts, we develop practical solutions to drive positive impacts in production landscapes and supply chains in 100+ countries. We focus on forest and climate impact commodities and related sectors.
How to apply
If you feel you meet the requirements of the role, please submit your CV and cover letter (optional) (in English), including salary expectations by 17 February 2023, via the application form below.
Please note: Only applicants legally eligible to work in the United States will be considered.
Application pre-screening will be conducted during the application period.
Preferred by Nature wishes our staff to reflect the diversity of society and thus welcomes applications from all qualified candidates regardless of personal background.
For questions, please contact:
Porter Friedman, Senior Agriculture Manager – US/Canada